Skylight: What You Need to Know
Skylight usually is a fixed structure of a building used in the ceiling or at the top of the building or at the roof for transferring natural light into the building. Sometimes the buildings are dark and gloomy inside in spite of having openings in their sides. It often happens because of the position or because of the blocking of light by other building or construction. In this case skylight can be a great solution to make a dark inside of a building brighter.
We should have consider few facts to use skylight in our building or in our project. Let’s explore together.
- Proper positioning: Skylight should be placed in proper position of the building. If it is not position in suitable position then the structure is no use, because it will fail to serve its purpose. Sometimes over light also causes problem to our eyesight and it can bother us a lot. So we have to figure out the right location for placing the skylight considering the light source.
- Design: We often use skylight in geometrical form without considering the design of the building. It looks pretty odd when we do so. Design is also an important factor and that’s why we should design the skylight considering the main design of the building.
- Size: The size of the skylight is also a fact to consider. The bigger the skylight the brighter the inside of the building. Of course we have to be careful about the eyesight brightness limit. Bigger skylight gives us more space to design and gives it a creative beautiful outlook as well as bigger entry to enter the light.
- Over heating: Light is the reason of heating. So we have to be careful and cautious about placing the skylight to avoid the overheating problem inside the building. Excessive light can cause a greenhouse environment into the building which can hold the heat and makes us feel more uncomfortable.
- Privacy: Privacy can be a considerable factor especially when we use the skylight in residential houses or in hotels. In this case to keep the privacy safe of ours we can use frosted glass or etched glass to build skylight. It may filter the light or may change the light color but prohibit the visibility of outsiders and protects one’s privacy.
These are few facts to consider building a skylight, but it is also true that more facts you may have consider to building the skylight considering the landscape and other surrounding.
Md. Asaduzzaman Russel
AIDT & Civil Technology
Daffodil Polytechnic Institute